2019-2020 New Elementary Schedule
August 26, 2019
Dear Elementary Parents and/or Guardians,
As we prepare for the 2019-2020 school year, I’d like to inform you of the new elementary schedule. The schedule will address changes in State law for required physical education time and provisions in the new teacher contract, as well as add a new What I Need (WIN) period.
In the new schedule you will notice the following:
- Morning meeting each day for students and their classroom teacher to focus on character education, social emotional learning, and / or a purpose for the day.
- A fifth special of Physical Education / Health (PE/H) added to the special schedule to address the new State requirement for physical education and health. This results in students participating in two physical education classes per week during trimesters 1 and 3; and one physical education class and one health class during trimester 2.
- English Language Arts (ELA) instructional time of 125 minutes per day.
- Math instructional time of 70 minutes per day.
- Science / Social Studies instructional time of 45 minutes per day.
- Student lunch of 30 minutes per day.
- Student recess of 20 minutes per day.
- A What I Need (WIN) period of 40 minutes per day to establish additional instructional time for core subject areas (as needed), assist in basic skills scheduling, and establish time for chorus, strings, and band rehearsals. The WIN period will also help teachers address individual, small group, and classroom academic needs that might present themselves during a specific subject or lesson recently taught.
Not only does the new schedule address new State and contractual requirements, it also has been designed to be more efficient and provide additional learning opportunities for our students. Should you have any specific questions about your child’s schedule, please contact your child’s teacher or principal.
I wish you all a wonderful school year.
Scott R. Rocco, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools