p: (609) 631 - 4160 option 2
The philosophy of guidance and counseling in the Hamilton Township School District focuses on the individual student. All students are accepted as unique individuals of worth, having personal, social and academic needs. The emphasis of the guidance and counseling program is to maximize the potential of all students through a comprehensive developmental approach.
Morgan Elementary Guidance services include:
- Individual counseling: Students can talk to the counselor about many issues including, but not limited to divorce/separation, feelings, physical/emotional abuse, conflict resolution, peers, family relationship and grief/loss. Sessions are confidential unless the subject matter has resulted in or could result in harm to self or others.
- Group Counseling: Groups are based on student need. Some possible groups could include K.I.D.S. (Kids in Divorce and Separation) and Friendship Groups.
- Classroom lessons:Students in each class receive at least 6 lessons, as well as assemblies, throughout the year focused on academic, personal/social and career development.
- Intervention and Referral Services: I&RS meetings are available as requested by the teacher or parent. The I&RS team is made up of you, your child’s teacher, counselor, principal, child study team member, and basic skills teacher who all work collaboratively to develop a plan of action for your child’s individual needs. Interventions are discussed and recommendations are made to help your child be successful in the classroom. In addition, measurable, reasonable and attainable goals are set for your child. Monitoring and follow-up meetings are scheduled as necessary to examine if progress is being made.
- Crisis management: Morgan has a crisis management team consisting of the nurse, the principal, and the counselor in place in the event of a crisis.
- Parent/teacher meetings and conferences: Request a meeting with your child's teacher and counselor to discuss any concerns you have.
Elementary counselors are an important part of a student's academic, social and personal success. Through a comprehensive developmental school counseling program, school counselors work as a team with the school staff, parents and the community to create a caring climate and atmosphere. By providing education, prevention, early identification and intervention, school counselors can help all children achieve success. Please click the link at the bottom of the page to learn more about why elementary school counselors are important.