About Kuser Elementary School
The Kuser community believes that all students can learn. Kuser students are educated in a wonderfully diverse and inclusive environment. Students and staff promote peaceful conflict resolution and the six pillars of good character. Students are being taught in smaller differentiated groups which promote cooperative and social learning. Kuser School students have access to the latest technology which will prepare them for the challenges of the 21st Century.
Kuser School is committed to providing a safe learning environment that meets the intellectual, social, physical and emotional needs of all the students. We believe that the staff, students, parents and Kuser community must work together on this commitment.
We respect individual differences in our students and believe each can become a successful, productive citizen. We recognize the need to provide an environment which maximizes opportunities for student success.
We recognize the need to focus our efforts on:
-Nurturing a feeling of self-worth and maintaining the dignity of each student.
-Fostering a love for learning;
-Using data driven instruction to teach meaningful curriculum.
-Utilizing technology to maximize learning.
-Developing life skills through the character traits of Respect, Responsibility, Trustworthiness, Caring, Fairness and Citizenship.
History Of Kuser Elementary School
Kuser School, located on Newkirk Avenue, between Hamilton Avenue and Liberty Street, was erected on part of a 3.2 acre site in 1909. The school was named in honor of one of the oldest and best known families in the area. Kuser School is a two-story building with a basement. The original structure consisted of only four rooms, two on the first floor and two on the second. All grades from kindergarten (formerly known as reception room) through eighth were accommodated in these four rooms.
According to an item which appeared in the Trenton Times on September 1, 1909:
“The new Kuser School in Hamilton Township will be dedicated Tuesday Evening with Assistant Prosecutor William R. Piper and John A. Hartpence, President of the Board of Education of this city as the principal speakers. Benedict C. Kuser will present to the school a large flagpole and flag in recognition of the use of the family name. Hamilton Township now has thirteen school houses and thirty-one teachers.”
In 1924, eight rooms and an auditorium were added. The architect was William A. Klemann, and the contractors were J.H. Morris Company, Inc., William Royer, Mercer Electric Company and the Kemble-Martin Company. The Hamilton Township Board of Education at the time consisted of A.H. Marjarum, President, C.M. Blackford, Vice President, and W.A. Robinson, Secretary. Other board members included J.E. Myers, G.A. Yewell, H.J. McCall, E.T. McGalliard, HJ.Ball, J.H. Gladstone, and J.R. Hughes.
The school population grew so rapidly that, within less than four years, an addition of twelve more rooms was necessary. This project was begun in 1927 and was completed in 1928. The architect was William A. Klenmann and the contractor was the James H. Morris Company. The Board of Education at that time was Herbert J. Ball, President J. Edgar Woolsey, Vice President and William A. Robinson, Secretary. Other members were Charles M. Blackford, Jacob R. Hughes, Harry J. McCall, Edward T. McGalliard, Albert H. Marjarum, and George A. Yewell.
Emily C. Reynolds was a teacher at Kuser at this time. She began teaching at the school in 1913 and was appointed principal in 1929. She devoted 44 years of her life to Kuser until she died on November 28, 1957. During her tenure Kuser School welcomed an incoming first grader, Neil Bencivengo, who became the first Hamilton Township student to go on to be named Superintendent of Schools.
Miss Reynolds was succeeded as principal by Ruth Parker. Miss Parker remained until 1966 and was followed by Isabel Robinson. When Mrs. Robinson retired in 1971, Katherine M. Geller was appointedprincipal. Miss Geller was Kuser’s principal until 1985 when she was succeeded by Mr. Richard Klockner. In 1991, Dr. Lois Braender became principal and remained in the position until 1998 when she was replaced by Mrs. Donna Bacsik. In September of 2000, Dr. James Fazzone became the principal. Dr. Fazzone was followed by Mrs. Stephanie Crea as Kuser’s principal in 2002. Dr. Tilson Sills served as the school’s interim principal from February, 2007 until June, 2007. Mr. Roberto Kesting became the principal in July, 2007 and has served for the last decade.
Kuser was named a New Jersey Star School in 1996. Kuser School won a Promising Practice Award for its unique Morning Assembly in 2008. Kuser School has gathered the entire student body to hold a kickoff assembly since 2007. Each classroom also holds a Morning Meeting as part of Responsive Classroom teaching strategies. This creates a sense of community in each class. In 2015 fourth grade teachers, Katelyn Jackson and Taylor Kuphal, presented the idea of having a school play. Through hard work and countless hours this idea blossomed into the production of The Wizard of Oz. In 2016 the students put on another fantastic show (Wonderland). We hope this is a tradition that will last for years to come!
Kuser School will open the 2017-18 school year with 28 classrooms, an auditorium, an art/music room, main, health, and guidance offices, a library, and cafeteria. There are 42 full-time members of the staff, including basic skills and resource room teachers, an ESL teacher, educational assistants, a nurse, secretary, clerical assistant and custodians.
In addition on a part-time basis, we have the services of vocal music, art, physical education, gifted and talented (ALPS), instrumental music, speech teachers, occupational and physical therapists, coaches, and our child study team.