Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Cindy Carella
The District 8th grade summer reading assignment can be found here! (Click, read and print!)
In-coming 8th grade students - ELA and EELA:
8th Grade Summer Reading 2019 (click on this link)
Read 1 novel from 8 choices; complete 2-page graphic organizer
Welcome to Mrs. C. Carella's 7th Grade Website!
This is my 11th year teaching ELA to seventh grade students at Reynolds. I love what I do and I try very hard to help students keep organized to be responsible for all assignments, grades and ultimately the learning goals in seventh grade.
District Grading Policy:
10% Individual Practice
Please visit your child's Powerschool Portal to view all upcoming due dates for assessments, projects, and homework.
Check the Assignment Page for on-going writing activities or projects. All assignments will be discussed in class and written directions will be given to each student. A copy of this information will also be posted on the Assignment Page for reference.
- Introduction to reading units with review of literary terms, reading techniques, and comprehension skills
- Novels: The Giver, Watson's Go To Birmingham - plus (excerpts from other novels)
- Various Short Stories, Poetry, Nonfiction, and Play units
- A Christmas Carol - 7th Grade Class Trip (12/13/18)
- Several student chosen books for SSR reading and book reports (with my approval - approximately 3 throughout the year)
- Vocabulary units: approximately 4 per marking period, plus additional units from reading selections
- Writing projects: poems, research, & written essays which include: descriptive, comparative, explanatory, & narrative
- Journal writing including: descriptive writing, free expression, sentence structure and vocabulary practice
- Grammar units are combined with other assignments to improve writing, such as use of vivid adjectives, homonyms, transitional words, prepositions, punctuation, & quotations
Throughout the year the writing projects become increasingly more involved focusing the students' skills on sentence structure, proper grammar, vocabulary skills and advanced writing techniques to enhance and develop the writing.
Additionally, students will develop oral presentation skills throughout the year by presenting various assignments to the class.