What materials do I need to purchase for class?
- pens & pencils
- a highlighter
- loose leaf paper
- 3-ring binder
- a folder
What textbooks will we use in class?
- your student agenda
- Language Network (stays in the classroom)
- Literature (stays in classroom)
- Vocabulary for Achievement second course
What will I be learning about?
- grammar - parts of speech, capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, agreement
- writing - paragraph structure, narratives, persuasive essays, explanatory essays, an autobiographical incident, an eyewitness report, a research paper, using dialogue, and poetry
- reading comprehension - fiction, non-fiction, 3-4 novels, short-stories, plays, literary terms, and reading strategies
- vocabulary - denotation / connotation, synonyms/antonyms, context clues
How will I be graded?
- Summative - 50%
- Tests and projects (BIG assignments)
- There are 4 types of tests: grammar content, reading comprehension, notebook and vocabulary
- Formative - 40%
- most work falls into this area
- Independent Practice - 10%
- practice worksheets
- If there are 10 problems for homework, and you complete 8, you will receive 8 out of 10 points. That equals an 80% B for that assignment.
What will happen to me if I get in trouble in class?
- first offense - warning
- second offense - private conference with Mrs. Conover
- third offense - parent contact
- fourth offense - conference will ALL of your teachers
- fifth offense - guidance involvement
- sixth offense / serious offense - office referral
Consequences for inappropriate behavior are determined on an individual basis and will go hand in hand with the steps listed above.